Saturday, September 8, 2007

Animal Collective -- Strawberry Jam (Domino, 2007)


Animal Collective provides the grossest cover I've seen outside of a Kevin Blechdom disc in some time. Despite the album title, it took me a while to figure out what this stuff actually is. Guts and bloody brain matter both crossed my mind first, and even after I connected the image to jam, I still thought maybe it was something disgusting dressed up to look like preserves. I'm not sure what's going on with the plate as a whole, but since I'm not going to eat anything like it and will shelve the disc with the spine facing out, I don't really need to investigate it any more.
[Sidenote: jelly bread goes great with pasta, but apparently most people think that idea's more sickening than the Strawberry Jam cover.]

No comments: